Saturday, February 20, 2010

Does it get any better?

Today was the first of many I hope that we could boil down sap. I cannot describe how much I love that smell. It's a seasonal thing which is why I think I treasure it so much. Last year we boiled it in the house, lesson learned; even if you think you won't get that much sap because you get you taps out late, DO NOT BOIL IT INSIDE!!! Every thing was damp and coated with a very sticky layer of wet! We had condensation running down the walls, windows, everything! It's just not fun. Delicious and totally worth it, but not fun to deal with. We ended up with just over a gallon of syrup, which means we evaporated into the house roughly 40 gallons of water! So I knew this year we were definitely doing something else. I was reading on another blog that one fellow homesteader used a propane fired deep fat turkey fryer. Knowing that the large deep fryer would not work as well as a shallow pan, as you need more surface area to evaporate it faster. I figured out what might work for me. I had a large shallow oven roaster and the guy at the feed store told me he could order the fryer part for less without the pan, perfect! I ordered it and set it up this afternoon, works great! As of right now I've done seven gallons of sap. Obviously if I were commercial this would not work, regulations, man how did those pioneers ever make it with out all those regulations?? But for me with the amount of taps I have I think this will be fine. So I spent the day outside in the sunshine, surrounded with wisps of maple steam, watching the goats kick up their heels and feel that spring in really just around the corner. Talking to the kids and Ron, watching the kids play in the yard and perusing a seed catalog dreaming of planting and tending and harvesting good healthy, organic food for my family by the armful. Does it get better than that?


As the sun went down Buckley decided he was cold and wanted to sit in my lap. Not that I really minded though, the temperature dropped quite significantly after that.

Andrew really enjoys the smell of the boiling sap as well. Licking his lips in anticipation of the golden syrup that is to come from the hours of boiling. and boiling. and boiling.


11 comments:

  1. I want to so badly to make our own maple syrup, I have never done it and really want to try. Some people make it sound to extreme of a process but you didn't. Unfortunately this year won't be the year I start, just have to many things to do this year in hopes to be more self reliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not hard at all, just time consuming and patience. Ironically I have neither! I'm also interested in Birch Syrup, need to find out more about that though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! 100 gallons of sap for 1 gallon of syrup! Probably not going to happen.... I've only got 1 or two birches on the property...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great day, we built two raised beds yesterday, I am so excited. How did the syrup come out? I have never even seen this done since I am from out west. Great pictures, I am dreaming that same dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sap is still being evaporated, it's not syrup yet. It takes 40 gallons of sap to be boiled off to make 1 gallon of syrup. I've been gone most of the day, off visiting my grandmother. ;-) but I just got home quite literally fired up the evaporator and have another two gallons in. My evaporator can only hold two gallons at a time, so it's a slow process. I'm so excited that I'm able to collect and boil this early!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you go over the river and through the woods to visit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. actually over the river and up the interstate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love the picture of the goat in your lap. I SO badly want a goat, and my husband just flat out refuses. Says they stink. Maybe they do? I don't know. They're just So darn adorable. A goat in your lap? Who CARES if they stink. And the syrup process, and end product? I totally envy you. Would love to come sit in the cold with you while you boil it down, and have a goat sit in MY lap!! I'll even make homemade waffles to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dog Hair,
    My advice to you is go to a place that has goats with your husband.... and see what they smell like. I don't find them stinky, but they do have a scent, like any other animal, BUCKS are usually the ones that stink. Does and wethers usually do not, unless they have been with a buck, especially at breeding time. Buckley, our wether was disbudded which helped remove the scent glands at the top of his head so he does not smell like a buck would. He is such a sweet boy and thinks he's a lapgoat, I'm not sure how it will be when he's full grown but for now it's ok. you might like this other post about him incase you haven't seen it.

    http://fromthecountryfarm.blogspot.com/2009/10/oddly-enough-he-liked-it.html

    You bring the waffles and come sit with us and I'm sure Buckley will oblige with the lapwarming. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the husband of Twistie - the goats are great! Tell your husband to get over it! Seriously, they are pretty cool little critters! I like sitting with them in my lap as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barb, the grunt!Saturday, March 13, 2010

    I second the goat thing, the other udder! Twistie, in my adventures in real estate of our fine Country, I did do a boil down of Birch sap while in Alaska. 102 gallons later...(beyond patience)...we had a gallon of syrup that was thick with a wintergreen flavored taste to the treat. I will stick with Maples!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.