Friday, February 5, 2010

Meet the Cast - Hyacinth

Here's the newest addition to From the Country Farm, Hyacinth.
She's an angora cross, my friend thought it was Nigerian Dwarf. Before arriving at my friends home she had been in a place that had abused her, I don't know what happened, but my friend said it was quite a while before she could have anything in her hand and walk near the goat.

So she's here now and will not have anything but love here. Yes, it's possible to love a goat, they are awesome animals! I say that honestly, but with some partiality towards them; I have to, we have 5 now, and started with only two... (grinning like a fool.) I was warned though, I was told that you cannot have just one, as they are herd animals and they need to be with other animals, like kind is good, what I think they meant was you can't have just one because the are like potato chips and you'll need more.

The kids and I arrived home last night about 11:30 and before we even went into the house to pee we got the goat unloaded and into the stall. I decided not to put her in with the other goats last night as 1. she thinks she's a horse I'm told, 2. I wanted her to get settled from the 1 1/2 hour ride home in the crate to a new barn, people, animals, life etc... and 3. a period of quarantine is always a good idea. So we put her in the stall in the crate, gave her hay and water and figured she'd come out when she felt safe. I felt awful this morning when I went into the barn and she was still in the crate we brought her here in, horrified would be a more accurate term. Had she spent the entire night in there? Like I said, it was a tight squeeze but manageable. I had to have the kids help me get her out because I couldn't do it myself, the crate is very large and bulky, we managed to do it but it wasn't her favorite thing to do. Now that she's out she's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, so far so good. Dakota, our llama looked over the stall wall this morning and liked what he saw. He's intact, for now...... but they'll be on the chopping block shortly. My vet likes them to be a bit older before she gelds them for the health of the animal. I'm good with that.

So there you have it, our newest addition, I'm sorry the picture is a bit blurry, I only took a few pictures, I didn't want to freak her out and this was the best one. Oh, I almost forgot, she (and Blackberry for that matter) is already starting to shed her wool! I'm excited about that for two reasons, 1. hopefully it means an early spring and 2. I get to spin it, an oooo-la-la is it soft. Now for the spinning wheel......

Just a note for future farming/homesteading reference... don't wear chapstick to the barn during shedding season.

4 comments:

  1. This is my second attempt at a comment lol, I guess I did not hit the post button before I backed out. Love the chapstick reminder!!
    She looks so fluffy and cuddly. How did you learn how to spin fiber? I have lately become fascinated with the idea after seeing so many who do it on the blogs I follow. I don't knit but I do crochet. I like the look of knitted things better. Something else to learn one day I suppose. Congrats! on the new addition. Your farm is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I'm not 'well versed' in spinning, but I try. My sister was shown how to spin as she has a couple sheep. She too learned on a drop spindle, but has since moved onto a wheel and LOVES that. She invited me over and showed me how. It's usually reccomended that you start with some scrap fiber that's not the best quality until you get the hang of it, there is a learning curve. Yes, my farm is growing, I love it!

    I just learned a few stitches of crochet yesterday and wow does that go fast. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan to try spinning the bunny fiber - once she's trimmed - with a drop spindle. We'll see how it goes. ;-) LOVE the chapstick comment. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, the grunt!Saturday, March 13, 2010

    Twistie, what a face! So glad the new addition will have wonderful home. (Listen goat, I know others have treated you BAAAADDD! But give this home a try, they are so wonderful1).
    Did you know, my Pup's blow out fur is a wonderful fiber to spin also? Would you like a few bags of it to try? I have 2 "spinners" that spin that use his extra layers in their yarn making. Don't worry, he produces plenty! Just look at my yard come Spring!Did you change your clocks? I changed every clock in the house last night before the SPRING AHEAD, poor RB on night shift is confused!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.