Tuesday, February 2, 2010

fiddlin' fools

Many years ago Faith saw a violin being played for the first time and said to me, "Mommy, I've never heard it's voice before!" With all the wonder and excitement of a child and it's a moment I'll never forget. To hear her describe it as having a voice reaffirmed to me she was a music lover! About a year ago a dear friend of our family gave Faith a violin as she knew Faith would put it to good use, mind you this violin is a treasured family heirloom not to mention over 250 years old. When I saw the date stamped inside I nearly choked! It's not replaceable!!! But Faith know all this and was told by the owner, use it and play it and she treats it with such respect. That Violin is just a bit too large for her to practice on right now but at the rate she's growing she'll have grown into and out if it shortly. So for now she's on a 1/2 size and graciously allowed me to try to learn on the older one. I did find a woman to teach her last year and she took lessons for a while; but it didn't work out for this year, for a variety of reasons. So we decided to give it a try on our own, she was given a book with cd and had many years of piano lessons to help guide us. So we're off, below are pictures of out first go at it, solo. We're each doing the first set of scales.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love how Faith said it had a "voice." That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UNLISTED and a little twisted, for reasons of my own!Saturday, March 13, 2010

    My goodness, I have tears again! Pleasure was mine to share, you are the generous ones that give that old fiddle a voice again. Off to cry some more good tears. One request, may I have a listen to you playing sometime? I am quite sentimental about certain things, most would say I am "semi-mental" most of the time!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.