Friday, February 26, 2010

It's not gonna be a good day Tater...

...when you have to start off the day by nailing part of your ROOF back on! Augh! I woke up last night to the sound of "wind gusts" as our rather chipper weatherman likes to call them and the roof being blown off. I knew there was nothing that I could reasonably do at o dark thirty in the storm by myself so I decided to stay put and pray, as that seemed the safe and right thing to do. So to start off my day I climbed up onto the roof and tried to fix it the best way I could and hopefully it stays put, at least until we replace it with a standing steam metal one. Mind you I'm not a roofer, just thought with would work.

No, the kids were not on the roof, Faith was just taking pictures behind Andrew and his head was poking out through the window, although he really wanted to be out there with me helping!





You should have seen the look on Dakotas face, like he was thinking "Crazy human do you realize where you are? I really don't think you belong up there!!" Poor D.



5 comments:

  1. oh my oh my I would not like that one bit, you are a brave woman and I admire you for getting up there and doing what had to be done. I know you have had about all you can take of this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't at hairy as getting on the steeper roof to shovel all that off! That's not fun at all! I am really looking forward to spring, and being warm!! really really really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twistie,

    The gap you covered with triTab was designed to let your roof breathe in order to discourage condensation buildup between the insulation and the roof sheeting. Some fine summer day, when there is no danger of rain you should seriously consider reopening that gap.

    I would advise you to talk to a reputable roofer in your area to confirm what I'm saying so he can better explain it to you.

    Short term, six months to a year, it shouldn't be a very serious issue, but left unresolved it will cause dry rot and insulation failure.

    But you did a hell of a job, thumbs up to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AKA, Thank you, I'll have to put that on my to do list as a summer project, provided this summer is not all rain like last summer, augh! I considered what that might do when I was closing it up, but figured that I could at least prevent more from getting in for now. It was a humdinger of a storm I'll say that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. proper vent Twistie! Look at our roof up here North of Nowhere sometime, it is not only a standing seam steel roof, it has proper vent all the way across the peak. WORTH the $!

    You have got me agape in honest amazement at your pioneer spirit. It was a TAD windy the other night. Sounded like the train was right beside the house going by several times an hour!
    WHOOSH!
    You do what you have to do and do it well. Compliments to your stubborn gumption!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.