Tuesday, November 30, 2010

we ah so culch-ed

Sorry, writing that made me cringe!

Well, this is supposed to be the last day for posting in the gratitude challenge, but I doubt it'll be my last post of what I'm thankful for. There are so many things, that 30 days simply does not allow for enough time to post about all of them. It's not always easy, but I do try to give thanks in all things, not just for all things.

Tonight, upon having just ventured into the city of Portland :shudder:: (I'll never know what made me think I was ever a city girl...) to take my children to see the Nutcracker Ballet. All three of us adored it, (as well as the trip into Whole Foods, but that is a post all in itself, after I come down off my food/beautiful produce high) and both of my children would love to go see Beauty and the Beast in February. Tonight I am thankful for art. Now, much like beauty I feel art is subjective; I do not find an art gallery filled of canvases of paintings with just an orange dot art. I do however love to look at the photographs taken by people like myself who are not professionals, but like to lend our hand to it. I'm actually a frustrated photographer at heart I think. (Especially now since my camera is on it's last legs, -insert sigh here- I guess 20400+ pictures is a lot for a camera to take in just 5 years!) I enjoy looking at artwork such as quilting and trying to find the meaning or the story. Children when given the encouragement and materials and allowed to let their imagination run wild often are very creative and 'artsy' if you will. Speaking of that, you should see our art supply! It rivals barn supplies! I love the artwork of Creation. I enjoy some things that are traditional and others when there is a creative spin put on it, but there are some classics that should not be messed with like Rudolph narrated by Burl Ives. DO NOT mess with Rudolph! My sister is now freaking out and desperately trying to call me to see what I've heard. Nothing.

Oh, for the record! IF I hear one more time that children are not effected by what they see on TV etc., I think my head might just explode! All afternoon after having seen the Nutcracker, my children were either the mice, the toy soldiers or another character from the ballet. After watching Victorian Farm they needed to pretend we were living that way as well, in fact Andrew came down stairs the very next day after seeing the first episode in his best Victorian period clothing and derby hat! Later he and Faith were taking turns being 'Clumper' the Shire draft horse used to pull carts and the plow. It does effect them!

So there you have it, a list of things I'm thankful for. Like I said, it's only a partial list and not in any particular order. I hope you've taken a moment to give thanks for the things you're thankful for not just this month, but daily, as there are so very very many.

1 comment:

  1. You ventured into Maine's largest city. That is scarey these days. Actually, the cultural advantages are worth the trip. Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.