Monday, May 24, 2010

Three years ago today...

...my life changed forever. It was the day Garlic arrived at his forever home. When I walked into that pen and saw him he managed to get a hold on my heart like I never though was possible with an animal and I've never looked back. Though he was not the skinniest horse I'd ever seen; close, but I'd seen worse while volunteering at an equine rescue out west. He was in really bad shape and I knew it. I knew he was a gamble I just didn't know then that gamble would pay off in more ways than I'd ever know. Against all the naysayers I bought him and had him delivered the next day, and I can honestly say he was not what I was looking for, in fact quite the opposite, but he is exactly what I needed. Funny how those sort of things work out. He has taught me patience, understanding, and trust. He's given me the ability to relax and chill more than any drug, prescription or otherwise ever could. When I was a horse crazy little girl I'd drawn a picture of a bay horse in a red box stall with white x's on the door wearing a blue halter. Three years ago that's exactly what I got. I don't know his past; where he came from or really anything about him other than the sorrowful old soul with a kind eye and a heart of gold, and yet I'm thankful for everything he went through, (though I wish he didn't have to be starved) so he could be in that pen on that day and steal my heart and join my life forever. We've ridden many miles together and I'm so thankful for each one and as long as I live no matter how many other horses come into my life I know I will never have another Garlic. A while back I read a saying that went, " All horses deserve, at least once in their lives. to be loved by a little girl." To that I would only add, or a woman whom had waited her entire life to love her horse.

Garlic, a few days after he arrived here; yes, he's skinny, but this picture was taken after he'd gained about 80-100 pounds!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely gentleman! It is amazing how much an old soul can impact your life. I am sure he thanks you every day for your kind touch and tender love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brought tears to my eyes... animals have a funny of bringing so much unexpected joy to our lives... nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Hard to believe that it's been 3 years. What a blessing. He looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn babe, you made me cry! I'm glad your horse dream has come alive! Watching you two sitting out in the field together gave me a great feeling inside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't mean to make you guys tear up, I just needed to get that out there. He such a good boy. The best part of it is now when he sees me he'll nicker to me! It's SO cool, he didn't do that for a long time but now when he's out in the field or I drive into the driveway he says, "Hello!" My heart soars.

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.