Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Saddle Up and Ride!!

You know you're in a bad mood when you put a Mozart cd on to help you relax and you feel like telling him to take that screeching violin and shove it where the sun doesn't shine! Then I switched to a different cd.... my go to girl when I'm that irritated, it's the only thing I can deal with, Melissa Etheridge - Yes I Am album, great great cd! So there I was listening to the cd, loudly, as that's the only way to listen to that cd and happened to look out the window and see Garlic out in the pasture, he was just enjoying the late afternoon sun but to me he was beckoning me to take him for a ride; so I shut the cd player off and went to fetch him. I tacked him up and took off and at the end of the driveway let him decide which way to go, at the end of the road I again let him decide. I'm very glad to have done this as he made a great choice and it felt nice to let him take charge. I'll admit that's not something that comes easily to me.....

So up the road we went and I'll tell you that it was better than any cd played loudly or not. We went for quite a ride, passed walkers, joggers, and ladies pushing babies in strollers. Past empty hay fields that are just now starting to awaken to the gloriousness of spring by starting to slough barrenness that is winter. Past the homes of fellow homesteaders who like me, are tapping maples and enjoying their sugary and delicious nectar, and past a pine grove that intoxicating and delightfully scents the air of the sweet yet earthy smell that only a pine prove can. Today we stopped and just breathed it in. At that exact moment I could think of nowhere else I'd rather have been. After a bit I urged him on, feeling him respond to the slightest cues from my seat, legs, or hands; I'll tell you what, there's nothing like it!

On our way home I rode in near silence, except for the sound of my trusty steeds clop-ker-clop cadence which sounded like heels in empty room with a marble floor, it was peaceful. Like we were the only ones around and the world was silenced just for us. It was at that moment I felt a smile come across my face and the dark cloud that'd been hanging around me all day just lifted away.

Garlic doesn't need much encouragement to return to the barn, his step is always a bit more brisk on the way home and I took full advantage of that during this ride! We trotted along the side of the road for a stretch, he didn't take much convincing to canter, well we cantered up behind one of those aforementioned walkers, (we were on the other side of the road and she was not in any danger mind you) and I think we startled her a bit, but she smiled and said what a glorious evening it was, I agreed and went on my way. I'm sure she thought she was looking at the Cheshire cat or the proverbial grinning idiot, and rightly so. What a sight I must have been, a seemingly wild woman cantering down the road on a mighty steed, hair, mane and tail flying straight out behind them, both grinning from ear to ear. Guess we both needed to saddle up and ride!

Winston Churchill was only partially right when he said,
"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man."
I cannot beat those words, but I would say .....good for the inside of mankind.

Thank you Garlic for a ride I'll never forget!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Garlic for bringing so much joy to my beautiful wife!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.