Sunday, October 24, 2010

Meet the Cast - 'The Boys'

..........George Harold
(Faith's alpaca, she chose the name)

..........Monday Morning

..........Monkey

..........Crazy Professor
(My mother said he looks like a wild and crazy professor, it stuck!)

..........Prince William/Willbill
(Andrew's alpaca, he came as Prince William but Andrew thinks he might call him Willbill, who know's it might change tomorrow!)
** all these pictures were taken by my sister Jen.


A herd of alpacas arrived at our farm last night about 10:30 pm and are settling in nicely and fitting in splendidly here at what some are calling "The Misfit Refuge." We're starting to be know for our animals with 'issues,' and I'm totally fine with that. For those of you who may have missed that post about our other misfit animals that post can be found here.



In this hodgepodge of misfits we've got a stunted one, one who is a train wreck as far as conformation goes, one with a "skin issue" on part of his leg and neurological issues. (The skin issue is not contagious, as he's the only one who has it and they've all come from the same herd.) And one that sounds like a baby toy when he humms. So that leaves us with one 'normal' alpaca, for now until his 'issue' appears. I think they'll fit in quite well, don't you?!


I've been smitten with alpacas since I first saw them and went nuts (I know, I know it was a short trip!) over the fiber and have wanted some ever since, however they are a bit out of my price range right now, but when a friend asked me if I was interested in these after she really hurt her back and felt like she could no longer care for them I jumped at the chance to have alpacas! My husband is a very good and patient man and fellow animal lover. Thank you Ron! So we worked out a deal and I brought them home last night! Our llama Dakota is thrilled and after a period of adjustment and quarantine they'll all be turned out together.


In the spring they'll be shorn and I'll have lots of yarn in lots of shades and colors. I'm thinking about starting a fiber CSA. I got the idea from another blog I follow and think it's a wonderful plan! Any thoughts or interest? I don't have all the details worked out at the moment, but if there is interest please leave me a comment or contact me and we'll take it from there. Deal?

3 comments:

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.