Monday, November 14, 2011

for commitment



I love this picture and even more so the couple in it. It represents love, peace, respect, sacrifice and commitment and it's the commitment I'm thankful for because it really involves all the others. Today is our 16th anniversary and there were times that I wasn't sure we'd make it. I'm being honest here. There was a time when throwing in the towel would have been the easiest thing to do, mind you it wasn't always that way and it wasn't a daily thing, but I'm thinking likely some of you can relate and know where I'm coming from. When it would have been easier to throw in the towel I realized that I stood before God and Ron and witnesses and committed to love him and be joined together with him until we are parted by death. That was a sobering reality! It made me realize that if I went back on my commitment  not only to Ron but to God that would be a huge statement about who I am, if I took back my commitment I'd be a person who talked the talk but not walked the walk and that is not who I am. I took a look at our relationship in a whole new light and saw things I could improve on, where I could grow, where I could change, (some I'm still working at...) and not just expect all that from him. I married all of him and he married all of me including my flaws. I have a long way to go but it's worth it. I wish that more people would realize that when you make a commitment make the commitment!

Ron told me a long time ago that marriage is not 50/50, it's 100/100 and it has proved to be a wise statement. It's hard work, it's heartbreaking at times, sometimes you get your feelings hurt and yes you are capable of damn near killing your spouse with hurtful things you do or say, so are they. Marriage is not always fun and it certainly isn't always champagne and roses - though it is sometimes!

But if you work through all those things that's when you get to the good stuff; the part of you that is able to trust only this person with your life, who is the first thing you see when you wake up in the morning and who reaches out to catch you when you stumble or fall. The person who knows you in the most intimate way and has the ability for feel you pain even when you're "fine." The person who you share children with and can make your day with a kind word or warm embrace. Who can make you feel like the most cherished person on earth with a kiss on the forehead. The person who is there when you look into the future and who is also in the past and both places bring a smile to your face. The person who goes out of his way to do something he knows will make you smile or thrill you to the moon and puts your needs before his own happiness, the person you cannot breathe without. Yes my friends, that is the good stuff.

Thank you Ron for the 16 years of marriage, the time before that as friends and the many years we have ahead of us. I love you!

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BABE! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you on your anniversary. You are right. Choosing to love everyday is the best way to make it through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! You are right on my friend!!! We will have our 30th in March! It IS so hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.