Thursday, November 3, 2011

the past 4 months...




Odd as it may seem I'm so thankful for the past 4 1/2 months,  yes, I'm talking about the time my husband has been ill, in and out of the hospital and home. It's been a long hard road we've battled and tomorrow marks a big day, Ron is returning to work which I'm thankful for but I'm also viewing it as a mixed blessing. Ron is not cured, he's still weak but has made an amazing recovery and making wonderful strides daily! I cannot tell you how proud I am of him without the waterworks starting. So I'll spare y'all that and suffice to say I'm very proud of him. But it's the last the last word in that sentence I'm focusing on. Home. Ron was in the hospital for a month, and back to the ER several times since he got out but for most of the time during all this he was home. He was here recovering, enjoying, rehabilitating, resting, playing, loving, smiling and living. He was home and bonding with our children and seeing them in a whole new light. He tole Andrew yesterday that people should be retired while they have children at home and work after they are gone. Hearing him say that meant so much, it brought tears to my eyes. Our relationship has grown too and we're closer now than ever before. He's had time to reflect on the things that matter, to think about things that matter and let go of things that just don't. He's been given the chance to live like he was dying and then the blessing of knowing he's not.

We've managed to pay all our bills; albeit some were late, but paid just the same, we had food on the table and gas in the car to get him back and forth to the appointments he had due in large part to the love and support and financial help from family, friends, neighbors, churches and complete strangers. I know without a doubt that it was the prayer support, God's grace and mercy we had during all this that got all of us safely through this. I was able to leave the farm and be at the hospital every day with him and knew the farm was in the capable hands of my kids overseen by my mom and I was able to be there with him at his appointments and not have to worry about missing work because we made the choice a long time ago for me to stay home with the kids and I'm thankful everyday for that. 

I'm thankful for the past 4 1/2 months because we've been home together growing, laughing and loving and I'm going to miss these past days when tomorrow comes.

Ron it's been so very nice having you home with us, these are days I'll cherish. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful, emotional post. Brought happy tears to my eyes! I will cherish this time forever, and appreciate the off-duty times even more! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.