Thursday, August 5, 2010

konks for Colorado

I first started canning and putting things up when Faith was 6 months old; we had just moved from Colorado and I was anxious to learn how, Mom was more than eager to teach me, but I think it was more because she could spend time with her "grandbaby." I started with strawberry jam in June because it was the first thing in season. I'll tell you, there are not too many things better than tasting jam you made in June in the sweltering heat, during the middle of a snowstorm in January tucked in with loved ones. Yum! I moved on to pickles and eventually beans, sauce, tomatoes, pears and applesauce, once I knew how the sky was the limit. I've kept doing it ever since, I find it rewarding. A friend of mine in Colorado saw the picture in this post and told me she'd like to raid my pantry! We emailed back and forth about it and suffice it to say...
...these babies are headed to Colorado! Why are they called konks you ask, well, that was what the kids called them when they were starting to talk, I have no idea how it came to be konks, but it is what it is. Now every time we make pickles, I think if them when they were younger sitting beside me on the stool helping pack the jars to make "konks."

2 comments:

  1. ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot about "konks"

    ReplyDelete
  2. These konks are being sent to me in Colorado, and for the first time in my life, I've decided not to share! :) Well, maybe a little bit. :) I can't wait!!! Thanks Stacy!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.