Saturday, May 5, 2012

NOT her best day!

Poor Katie, she's miserable and confined which makes it even worse! This afternoon as I was turning onto our road I got a frantic phone call from Faith. I didn't understand much of what she was saying but told her to calm down and breath and I was turning into the driveway. I was able to get out of her that Katie had cut her leg and that a neighbor was out with her. So I parked and headed out to assess the situation our neighbor had his dog by the collar in one hand and Katie in the other she was dripping blood and not bearing any weight on her leg even with the dog three feet from her. Oh Lord this is NOT good! Fortunately I got my dad's head in situation like this and can remain calm and do what needs to be done. I told the kids what I needed them to do and got her up to the house with the use of a garden cart as an ambulance for goats. Cleaned up the wound and got it dressed and the bleeding to stop. She still wasn't bearing weight and I was afraid she'd broken it and figured this day would end with tears, a shovel and a good-bye because of that. I did what I could do for her but knew this was way beyond what I knew to do and had no pain meds for her. I don't think there is anything more pitiful than a whimpering goat. At least in that moment I couldn't think of anything. I called the vet out I just knew despite the cost I had to do it, Katie is like a daughter of sorts to me and I just had to do what needed to be done. So the vet came out about two hours after I got home and with an exam said she didn't feel anything broken but that she may have just really injured the leg muscle, tendons etc and the cut was nasty! So she vetted her and put this splint on her leg and gave me some pain meds and said if she's still not bearing weight by Monday get her to the office and we'll do an x-ray just to see what is going on in there. But this should work, so we'll see. That being said a farm call on a weekend will be a rather large bill so this weekend only I'm having a Emergency vet bill sale on the goat milk soap. Buy 5 get one FREE! This of course is to help pay for her bill. Katie sends a big THANK YOU to all of you.

2 comments:

  1. As much as I would LOVE to buy some goat milk soaps, I couldn't bear you sending them to the UK (postage and customs are crippling!). Have you ever considered a donate button? It's such a touchy subject but with all your family's been through I think lots of readers would like to send you something positive. And I've wanted a goat so perhaps contributing to one's care would fulfil the need without meaning twice a day milking chores...Anyway, hope the leg is repairable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Katie. Hope she can put some weight on it today.

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.