Monday, May 7, 2012

Katie update

First of all, thank you all who participated in the emergency vet bill soap sale, I appreciate that more than words can express.

Secondly, I went back and reread the initial post about Katie after reading some comments and realized that in my stress I did not accurately describe what happened. So I apologize for that. In no way did my neighbors dog have anything to do with Katie getting hurt, my neighbor and his dog were just walking by to get the mail and happened to be in the right place at the right time and was able to help.

As I said, I was not here when it happened and just came in on the aftermath but from what I can gather she tried to jump the fence, managed to catch her leg, panicked and who know what at this point.

As directed by the vet I attempted to take off the dressing/bandages and check the laceration. However, when doing so she started moving around and looked to me like that her leg was moving weird almost wobbly, despite the fact that the vet didn't seem to think it was broken when she examined her on Saturday. My gut tells me it's broken, so I stopped re-wrapped and put the splint back on and will call the vet again in the morning. Because my truck is still in the shop (since Thursday) and will be for a while....ugh.... my mom will drive her truck down (over an hour each way - Thanks Mom!) and help me get Katie to the vet for an x-ray and who knows what from there. I wish I had better news and hopefully tomorrow I will post that she's going to be on the mend shortly it's just bruising or something. She is on meds for pain and stall rest, which she detests but there are some things you just cannot explain to a goat! That being said, I'm really trying to listen to Katie too, listening to what she's trying to tell me in her own way and it helps that I've known her her whole cantankerous in a loving sort of way life. Some people may be of the mindset that it's just a goat, and I'm ok with you thinking that. To me Katie is my responsibility, I caused her to come into this world, bottle fed her and raised her from day one. I need to do what I need to do to make sure she's not suffering, that is one thing I simply cannot bare. I do not take the responsibility of any of the animals here lightly. Each decision I make on their behalf is done with care, consideration and in what I feel is appropriate at the time.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. I hope it's not broken. Will this affect breeding this fall? Or am I jumping the gun here?

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.