Wednesday, July 28, 2010

so what does 15 thousand dollars look like?

In the farming world it's this! Well, dairy farming particularly. The kids and I helped out at a local barn's livestock auction on Monday. I say livestock, but in all honesty it was just cows. This little heifer is not even a year old, has not produced any offspring or even a drop of milk and was sold for just over 15,000.00!! I was stunned! Yes, she's very well built heifer, but seriously 15 thousand dollars?! If this is what Andrew needs to save up to buy, we're a bit further off than we thought!

5 comments:

  1. I'm flabbergasted! 15k for a cow! Thats like buying a small car. I hope they live a very very long time. Is Andrew looking at a fresh new cow, or would he be ok with a used model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point he'd take just about anything. He wants me to build him a wooden one to fill up with water so he can milk it! He's just dying for a cow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just paid £240 ($400) each for 2 first year breeding ewes and coughed a bit when I handed the cheque over. But I wanted to start with good stock. You make me glad I never considered dairy cattle!

    Commercial dairy cows are valuable animals. Hopefully a house cow will be a more reasonable financial venture. Has he seen a Jersey cow - the milk chocolate ones with the big brown eyes? I'm a sucker for those at county fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the Jersey is an option, or a Brown Swiss, (my two favorites) he might have to start there, smaller and more affordable. Not quite so much to feed either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $15,000 wow!! We have a dairy farm and we never spent that much, sure it probably has a lot of good genetics and comes from a good line but you can get a cow for way less. In our area ( depending on how things are, cows prices are down a little) for a good bred heifer we could expect to pay around $15oo and if the prices are up she could go up to $2000. Do you want to start with one that is milking, going to have a baby soon or start with a calf? Was just curious but you don't have to spend anywhere close to $15,000, I know I wouldn't!!!

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.