Thursday, December 17, 2009

Muskrat Traffic Jam

This is the God's honest truth, yesterday while the kids and I were driving into town we saw an odd little critter waddling alongside the road; we were not alone in seeing this critter, there was another vehicle oncoming that also had slowed down to watch it. Since it had started out on the opposite side of the road from me we had a pretty good view, however as the other vehicle approached it scurried across the road, (and in doing so it allowed me to figure out that it was a muskrat) and under my at that point stopped truck, I guess it felt safe and hidden, and in an odd way I now felt like a mother hen. The driver of the oncoming car stopped by my window and told me that it was right by my tire and drove off. After that car drove away the little muskrat emerged from the underbelly of the truck and proceeded to waddle back across the road into oncoming traffic, again. It could be said of this little guy that it was a few bricks short of a load. The other driver also stopped and let it cross and then went on her way. All this time I kept looking in my rear view and seeing a very large delivery truck gaining ground on the situation, the beauty of having a flat road in this situation. The muskrat made it back to the field on the side of the road that it had started out on, apparently whatever it was trying to get to on the other side of the road seemed less important after two near death experiences in less than 5 minutes. There are things that happen in life that make you reevaluate what seems important, apparently it happens to muskrats too.

3 comments:

  1. Too cute! And loved this part...
    "There are things that happen in life that make you reevaluate what seems important, apparently it happens to muskrats too."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun story. I've never seen a muskrat. Glad the little critter didn't become roadkill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwweee! I wish you had gotten a picture, I am not sure I know what a muskrat even looks like...

    ReplyDelete

So what's the view from your world about that? I'd enjoy hearing it.